Thursday, September 20, 2012

Tuna Noodle Salad

This is one of those recipes that reminds me of home-- summer nights growing up. My mom would make it, we'd eat it for dinner, and then have leftovers for days. And I loved it.

But before we get right down to the recipe, I have to ask: are you a mayonnaise or miracle whip person?

Growing up, we were definitely a miracle whip household. I don't even remember my parents having mayo in fridge; we actually called the bottle of miracle whip "mayonnaise". However, they are completely different flavors, and nowadays, I always have a bottle or jar of both ready for use. Particular recipes need the creamy mayo while others need the tangy miracle whip. I think this tuna salad necessitates the miracle whip. The tangy flavor accents the crispy celery, green pepper and pickle. It adds enough flavor without overpowering the tuna, yet leaves it light and fresh.

If you are a mayo-only person, I would advise caution when trying to substitute directly in this recipe; I will not be held responsible for poor results.





Tuna Noodle Salad
Ingredients:
1.5 cups small pasta (mini shells or macaroni or others)
6-oz can tuna packed in water, drained
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 medium green pepper, diced
1 large dill pickle, diced
3 oz sharp cheddar cheese, diced
4 tbsp light miracle whip (more or less to taste)

Directions:
Cook the noodles as indicated on the package omitting the salt. Drain and rinse with cold water.

Combine the tuna, celery, green pepper, pickle and cheese in a medium bowl. Add the pasta and toss to mix. Add the miracle whip and mix to coat.

Refrigerate until ready to eat. Serve on a bed of lettuce, if desired.







No comments:

Post a Comment