Sunday, September 30, 2012

Stuffed Acorn Squash

I have this sort of "addictive" personality. It manifests when I start watching a TV show on Netflix and I get sucked into too many episodes in a row. Also when I start reading a book and cannot put it down until I figure out how it ends. Apparently it can happen when I'm cooking as well.




Right now I'm loving the flavors of bacon and apples together- salty and tart are quite perfect right now.




I made that kale salad last week and then I made this stuffed acorn squash. It really hit the spot. You could probably make this dish vegetarian by subbing a tablespoon of oil for the bacon grease; but then you'd be missing the bacon apple flavor combo.




Right now I'm thinking an apple pie with a bacon studded crust sounds pretty good. Mmm... I'll get back to you on that.





Stuffed Acorn Squash
Ingredients:
1 acorn squash (about 1-1.5 lb), cut in half
3 strips bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 apple, diced (about 1/3 cup diced apple)
1/3 cup diced onion
1 celery stalk, diced
2 pieces whole wheat sandwich bread, diced
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
handful craisins
drizzle of honey

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 F.

Place the acorn squash halves cut side down in a microwavable dish. Microwave on high for 5 minutes or until the flesh of the squash is soft and cooked.

In a skillet over medium heat, brown the bacon pieces until they are crispy about 7-8 minutes. Remove the bacon pieces to a paper towel and discard of all but 1 tbsp bacon grease. Add the onion, celery and apple and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the bread pieces and stir to coat. Drizzle about 1 tsp honey (more or less to taste) on top of the stuffing and mix in. Add the chicken broth and stir; simmer for about 3-4 minutes until fragrant and the liquid is absorbed. Season with freshly ground pepper. Mix in the craisins and cooked bacon pieces.

Spoon stuffing mixture into the squash halves. If you have extra, spoon it into a ramekin or small baking dish. Bake about 25 minutes until hot.










P.S. What do you think about more pictures? I'm playing around with new things...

No comments:

Post a Comment