Thursday, September 27, 2012

Spinach and Pepper Jack Stuffed Chicken Breast

Sometimes I feel like I'm a pre-teen girl stuck in a late 20s body:

          1. I love Taylor Swift music.
       
          2. I CANNOT WAIT for the release of Breaking Dawn Pt 2 (Check out the trailer here). Oh my,
              November 16 cannot come soon enough. Who wants to go with me so I'm not the creepy old lady
              surrounded by the kiddos? Although, are they going to fight at the end? WHAT?! How different is
              it going to be than the book? Don't worry, I'll report back. ;)

          3. I am looking forward to the new season of Vampire Diaries on CW.

          4. Sometimes when I'm at the library I peruse the teen books looking for vampire (are you sensing a
              theme?) and alternate world (like Hunger Games) books. And then I read them. And enjoy them.

          5. Holding hands is my favorite form of physical affection.

          6. I'm an over-liker on Facebook. Yes, I will like your wedding photos, the pictures of your adorable
              little children, your announcements of exciting news, your funny quotes, and your random status
              updates. Even when I haven't had a real conversation with you in quite some time. Every now and
              then I'm tempted to like those sad or frustrated statuses because I want you to know that I saw it
              and I'm thinking of you. Of course I don't because then you'd think I was a sadist or something.

          7. I rely on the show Boy Meets World for true life lessons.

OMG.

Please don't judge me.

K?

Thanks.

You are totally my BFFs in cyber world.



Alas, there are a lot of things about me that do not coincide with a pre-teen girl. Like the fact that I drink cups of coffee to keep me going everyday. Or that I sit at home on Friday nights knitting and watching movies by myself. Or that I can't get myself out of bed 30 minutes earlier each morning to style my hair just so. Or that making new creations to stuff inside chicken breasts makes my heart do a cartwheel, jump up for a toetouch, and land down in a pretzel (of course, my body cannot do those things anymore without significant repercussions). These pepper jack and spinach stuffed chicken breasts did just that.

Try them... whether you are an old soul or young-at-heart. I think you'll like them.





Spinach and Pepper Jack Stuffed Chicken Breast
Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2-3 handfuls of fresh spinach (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup freshly grated pepper jack cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup flour (whole wheat or all-purpose)
6 tbsp 100% egg white egg beaters (or 2 egg whites)
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
Cooking spray

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top of it.

Pound the chicken breasts until they are very thin. Cut each breast in half for more manageable sizes.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook while stirring until wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Remove to a cutting board and chop coarsely. Combine the spinach with the cheese in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper as desired.

Place the flour, egg whites and panko in three separate shallow bowls. Place quarter of the spinach mixture on each of the chicken breasts and roll up, securing with 2-3 toothpicks. Working one at a time, roll the chicken in the flour, followed by the egg whites and finally the panko. Place on the prepared rack. Spray each chicken with cooking spray.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until browned and the cheese is melted.

Serves 3-4.




No comments:

Post a Comment