Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Mushroom and Blue Cheese Spaghetti Squash

Remember when I made the last spaghetti squash recipe? Well, I had half the squash leftover and a desire to try something else with it. I decided to test whether or not I could really sub the squash for pasta and so I wanted to whip up a quick and easy sauce to go with it. I looked in my fridge and found mushrooms and blue cheese. I figured I could make a creamy sauce to test the theory.

Side note-- this meal makes me giggle because if Scott had been here, there would have been no way he would have touched this with a ten-foot pole. Blue cheese and mushrooms are two of his least favorite foods and here I am making them the focal point of this meal. I guess sometimes it is nice to be cooking just for yourself. ;)

Well, the verdict from the experiment. #1 - this sauce is delicious. It made my apartment smell great and I could have eaten it with spoon. Pretty good for just winging it, if I do say so myself. #2 - it complimented the spaghetti squash fairly well. Although maybe not the most traditional, I liked it.

Try it out if you are a mushroom and blue cheese person. If you aren't, hold out, I promise I'll experiment with some other spaghetti squash sauces/dishes this fall.

Please note, it certainly isn't the "prettiest" dish I've ever created. I did eat it with a nice green salad topped with assorted veggies so my meal wasn't quite as bland in color as the picture would indicate.





Mushroom and Blue Cheese Spaghetti Squash
Ingredients:
1/2 spaghetti squash
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp blue cheese crumbles
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tbsp butter
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Directions:
Melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until softened, about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Dissolve the corn starch in the milk and add to the pan. Cook until it begins to thicken, about 2-3 minutes. Add the blue cheese crumbles and mix completely; stirring to melt and continue to thicken. Season with freshly ground pepper.

Place the spaghetti squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes until the squash is soft. Use a fork to pull the flesh into thin strands and transfer to a bowl.

Top the squash with the mushroom mixture.

Serves 1.



No comments:

Post a Comment