Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mexican Tortellini Skillet

Candy Crush.

Addicting, amiright?

I started playing it shortly after it became super popular. BUT I refused to link it to my facebook because why in the world would I want the world to know how much time I waste playing games on my phone? So eventually I hit that level that I needed to get help from my facebook friends (or pay money to the app store) to move on. I said, see you later, Candy Crush. We are over.

Then recently I learned that they have these "quests" you can play to avoid asking your friends for help. I resisted for a little while but then I downloaded it back on my phone. Now, I've been playing it probably too much lately. What can I say? It helps me de-stress.

You know the best thing about Candy Crush? You can only play it for a certain amount of time. There is a built-in, put-your-phone-down-you-idiot-and-do-some-real-work fail safe. Talk about genius. Thank you, creators!




This tortellini skillet will prove to be just as addicting as Candy Crush. It is super quick and easy to make but packed full of flavor. It will be like when one of the wrapped candies and one of the striped candies mix in the game and you get a giant big candy that crushes lots of rows and columns. But in your mouth... in the flavors of Mexico.




Mexican Tortellini Skillet (inspired by Half Baked Harvest)
Ingredients:
1/2 lb cheese tortellini
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 ear corn, kernels removed
1/2 tbsp ancho chili powder
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1/4 cup salsa
1/8 cup pickled jalapenos
8 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 handful chives, diced
2 handfuls shredded Mexican cheese
tomatoes, avocado, Greek yogurt or sour cream, additional jalapenos, for serving

Directions:
Preheat broiler.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the tortellini according to the package.

In a large oven-proof skillet*, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minutes. Add the corn, chili powder, cumin, and salsa and cook for about 4 more minutes. Stir in the pickled jalapeno and black beans and cook for another 4 minutes until the veggies are soft and cooked. Stir in the cooked and drained tortellini and chives. Stir to coat completely.

Top the pan with the shredded cheese and broil for about 1 minute until the cheese is melted and browned slightly.

Serve topped with chopped tomatoes, avocado, Greek yogurt, and additional jalapenos.

Serves 3-4.

*If you don't have an oven-proof skillet, just transfer the mixture to an oven-proof baking dish after you stir in the tortellini and chives, top with the cheese, and broil from there. But you should invest in an oven-proof skillet because then you will have one less dish to clean after dinner!



No comments:

Post a Comment