Thursday, July 5, 2012

Parmesan Tilapia with Mango Salsa

Does anyone else feel like putting a holiday in the middle of the week really screws with your work schedule? I've been feeling like it is a Monday all day and my productivity has not been the best. I've also been dreaming of the pool at my apartment complex and the strawberry daiquiri I made with dinner last night. To tell you the truth, I think this 4th of July was the first one in a long time that I didn't go in to work. As a grad student, you don't really "get holidays"; you kinda just take off time when you need to and spend the rest of your hours in lab. But now that I've moved on to bigger and better things, I figured I could take the day off. :) However, my science may be regretting that... ha ha.

Anyway, here's a quick and easy tilapia (or any other non-strongly flavored white fish like cod or pollock) recipe for a summer evening. The mango salsa is super yummy and could certainly be eaten atop some tortilla chips.




Parmesan Crusted Tilapia with Mango Salsa
Ingredients:
2 4-oz tilapia fillets, thawed
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
1 egg white, beaten
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1/2 mango, diced
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced (more or less to taste)
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.

To make the salsa, combine the mango, onion and jalapeno in a small bowl. Drizzle with the honey and the vinegar and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Chill until ready to eat.

Mix the cornmeal and flour in one shallow bowl and the egg white in another. One at a time, dip the tilapia into the egg white and then the cornmeal mixture, patting to adhere. Place the tilapia on the wire rack. Sprinkle 1 tbsp parmesan cheese on top of each fillet. Bake for 10-15 minutes until cooked through.

Serve the fish topped with the mango salsa.

Serves 2.





No comments:

Post a Comment