Monday, July 23, 2012

Mexican Beer Steak Fajitas

Ok, y'all, I had a great birthday weekend. Scott came to visit and despite the fact that he wanted to take me out for a nice dinner, I convinced him that it was really more of a birthday treat for me to spend the weekend cooking meals for us. It didn't really take a lot of arm-twisting on my part because he eats out A LOT now that I've moved away so home-cooked meals are a treat for him as well. Let me tell you, cooking for other people is one of my love languages (for those of you who have read "The Five Languages of Love", you are probably about to start arguing with me that cooking is not technically a love language. I know, I know, but go with me, I'm taking creative license on MY blog. Deal. :) ).

Now I'm excited to share with you the meals we enjoyed this weekend. On Saturday late afternoon, after we spent a bit of the day at the pool, we had a Mexican feast revolving around these steak fajitas. I marinated the steak in beer before hand. I had been planning on using Corona but then Meijer had a mix-pack of Mexican beers for sale last week. So, I picked Dos Equis instead. Totally turned out great. And to make things even more enticing, the cooking part is soooo fast and easy.

You should try it. :)

And wait until you see the homemade salsa and guac we had with it. Stay tuned.



Mexican Beer Steak Fajitas
Ingredients:
3/4 lb top loin steak, cut into 1/4 inch thick strips
1 bottle of Mexican beer (I used Dos Equis, but Corona would work well I'm sure)
juice of 1/2 lime
3 cloves of garlic
2 cups of bell pepper, sliced thinly (any combination of colors)
3/4 cup onion, sliced thinly
1/2 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp freshly ground pepper (more or less to taste)
salt, to taste
flour tortillas
sour cream and shredded cheese, for serving

Directions:
Between 12-24 hours before you are cooking the fajitas, combine the steak strips with the beer, lime juice and garlic cloves in a large bowl or marinade container. Chill in fridge for 12-24 hours, stirring or flipping at least 2-3 times throughout.

Heat the oil in a large skillet (or wok) over medium-high heat. Using tongs add the steak and garlic to the skillet and season with the freshly ground pepper; cook until the steak is browned through, approximately 5-6 minutes, stirring a lot. Remove the steak to a plate and discard the garlic. You should still have a little bit of liquid in the pan that cooked off of the steak. Add the peppers and onion and cook with stirring approximately 4-5 minutes. You want to still have some crisp to the peppers. Add the steak back to the pan and season with salt.

Serve divided among flour tortillas garnished with sour cream and shredded cheese, as desired.












No comments:

Post a Comment