Monday, July 8, 2013

Wine Slushies!!!

We know that I like to recreate recipes at home that I find at restaurants. Remember the potato pizza? And the immaculate reception inspired pot pie? And crab meat rangoons? What about the restaurant style dark dinner rolls? So from the moment I tasted the wine slushie at Sleepy Creek Vineyards, I knew I needed a homemade version. I loved the taste but could not justify buying both the wine and the slushie mix... especially since I was certain the mix consisted of sugar and only a few other ingredients. As is my norm, I immediately google-ed "homemade wine slushie mix" when I got home and found myself a recipe. And y'all, it is so simple. I've already made it twice! I plead the 5th in answering your question of how long it took me to finish the first batch (it was >1 day, however). Then my parents were in town for Sunday and I made it again because I like to be a bad influence on my mom and introduce her to alcoholic beverages that I think she will enjoy (she doesn't like beer or wine and will only occasionally drink a margarita or daiquiri). I was correct. The tartness and ice-y-ness of the drink was perfect for her. My dad enjoyed it too.




Here it is important to appropriately pick your wine. If you use a sweet wine, then your slushie will be sweet; if you use a drier wine, then your slushie will be even more tart. I like the latter best. This recipe only requires 4 ingredients: sugar, citric acid, a lemon and wine (I guess 5, if you include the water). FYI: Citric acid can be found in the canning section of your grocery store or Lowe's/Home Depot/etc.

I cannot express my enthusiasm for this drink enough. It is perfect for the summer. Do the darn thing!




Homemade Wine Slushies (adapted from Celebration Generation)
Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp citric acid
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
750 mL bottle of red wine*
3 cups water

Directions:
Combine the granulated sugar, citric acid and lemon zest in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for about 3-4 minutes until the sugar is processed and everything is mixed well.

Place a gallon size freezer ziploc bag in a bowl. Pour the sugar mixture into the bag. Add the wine, water and lemon juice. Gently mix with a spoon to dissolve. Place into the freezer and allow to freeze for at least 3-4 hours until it reaches your desired consistency.**

*Note: the sweeter the wine you use, the sweeter the slushie will be. Also, I have only used red wine, but I imagine you could use white wine as well.

**Note: This will keep in the freezer for multiple days but will take on more of a granita or flavored ice texture. This is no problem- eat it with a spoon. Or remove it from the freezer and squish the bag with your hands after it has been sitting on the counter for a few minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment