Monday, July 22, 2013

Mom's Potato Salad

Let's talk about the miracle of life for a few moments.

My friends in college used to laugh at me because I told them that I was really excited one day to be pregnant. I mean, it is a little baby growing inside of you. It starts as two little cells and becomes a person! How amazing is that?! It truly is the miracle of life.

No, no, this is not a pregnancy announcement. I was just reminded of this perfect creation of new life when I went to visit my new baby niece this past weekend. She is this little bundle of joy (and squeaks) that makes everyone in the room glow with happiness. She is so tiny yet so full of life. I could have sat there holding her and staring at her precious face forever. My sister and her husband have this baby making thing down to perfection--they make the most adorable little kiddos. Both of my nieces are probably the prettiest little babies ever (not that I'm biased at all). Who would dare to contradict these faces?




Speaking of family, today I'm sharing my mom's potato salad. Feel free to double it if you are feeding a large family. I love that mine keeps growing.




Mom's Potato Salad (adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
Ingredients:
1 lb yukon potatoes
1/2 cup miracle whip light
1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp dill pickle juice
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1/2 small onion, thinly diced
2 small dill pickles, diced
3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
paprika

Directions:
Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20-25 minutes until just tender. Drain well. Cool. Peel and cube potatoes.

Mix together the miracle whip, mustard, pickle juice and salt and pepper.

Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, pickles and eggs in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 6 hours.

To serve, top with paprika.






No comments:

Post a Comment