Sunday, June 17, 2012

Black Eyed Pea Hummus

What did you do on Saturday night? I spend my night making this:



A complete disaster in my kitchen!

Albeit, a beautiful and yummy disaster. I'll soon be sharing with you some of the things that I made. I included a few labels to get you thinking about what they might be... It really was an enjoyable evening. I donned my apron and kinda just went at it prepping food, following recipes, and making a few things up myself.

One of the things I started out with was hummus. I've been longing to make hummus since I got my new food processor, so I figured it would be a good place to start. Of course, I thought I had chickpeas in my pantry; however, when I went to grab them, I didn't have any. So I went with black eyed peas instead. I roasted a bulb of garlic and combined that with a few seasonings in the processor. The resultant mixture was delicious! I may have ate it with some blue corn chips for dinner. Don't judge. :)




Black Eyed Pea Hummus
Ingredients:
1 15-oz can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 bulb of garlic plus 1 tsp olive oil
3 tbsp tahini paste
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tbsp water to reach desired consistency
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 F. Cut off the top part of the garlic bulb to expose the cloves. Remove excess skin and then drizzle top with 1 tsp olive oil. Roast for 45 min. Allow to cool and then squeeze out the bulbs.

Combine the peas, garlic, tahini and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until mashed completely. Add the chili powder and paprika and pulse to combine. While the food processor is going, add the olive oil followed by water until it reaches the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. 

Garnish with extra paprika. Serve with tortilla chips, crackers or cut vegetables.




No comments:

Post a Comment