Monday, June 11, 2012

Avocado Egg Salad

This one's for you, Mom.



Do you have those certain meals that you always eat the same sides with?

Like pork chops, applesauce and macaroni and cheese? Or lasagna, garlic bread and salad with Italian dressing? Or meatballs, mashed potatoes and green beans? Those are just a few that we had in my house growing up. Even to this day, I have trouble eating certain main dishes without the sides that I have been trained to eat alongside them.

So, this weekend when I decided to finally try my hand at the avocado egg salad from Skinnytaste that has been sweeping the Pinterest and blogging communities, I knew I was missing something. You see, whenever my mom makes egg salad (which at her house, and typically at mine, consists of hard boiled eggs chopped and mixed with light Miracle Whip, no mayo), she ALWAYS has barbecue potato chips. Now, I don't normally keep chips in my house this days (because I'll eat them all since I have no self control when it comes to food), so I decided to try my hand at making some homemade bbq potato chips. I cut the potatoes really thin with my mandolin, then brushed them with some bbq sauce mixed with a little salt. I baked them until they got crispy. I must admit that they were pretty good, but that the bbq flavor was not quite as good as a bag of Lays. I need to come up with a spice mix to toss with the chips as opposed to the sauce... that would be better, I think. I'll keep you posted. As for the egg salad, I adapted the recipe slightly to adjust for size and flavor preferences. If you like avocado, I would definitely suggest making this. Although, I won't be removing the old faithful Miracle Whip egg salad from the rotation quite yet.





Avocado Egg Salad (adapted from Skinnytaste)
Ingredients:
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 avocado, chopped
1 tbsp light mayo
1 tsp red wine vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Combine the avocado, mayo and vinegar and mash with a fork until smooth. Add the eggs and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper.

Baked Barbecue Potato Chips
Ingredients:
1 medium potato, sliced very thinly
2 tbsp barbecue sauce
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 F.

Spread the potato slices on a baking sheet.

Mix the barbecue sauce, water and salt in a small bowl until the salt dissolves completely. Brush on both sides of the potato slices.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through. When you pull the potatoes out they should be slightly crispy, but they will become crispier as they sit out of the oven. If they are not crispy after 2 minutes out of oven, bake for longer. Watch closely because the cooking time really depends on the size of your potato slices.

Serve egg salad as a sandwich, wrap or whatever you desire with potato chips on the side.



Oh and don't forget a pickle. We always have a pickle with this meal as well.



1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try the avocado egg salad. Sounds like a great way to "sexy up" an old stand-by. Dad

    ReplyDelete