Sunday, October 7, 2012

Creamy Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas

So my parents stopped by on their way back home this past weekend. I emailed them a couple of options for dinner and they chose enchiladas. I spotted this creamy avocado enchilada recipe on one of my favorite blogs and I knew it was the one. Plus avocados were on sale this week at the grocery store! I wouldn't suggest making it unless avocados are on sale because you're going to need three big ones. Unless of course, you are not a poor postdoc and can afford to purchase full price avocados whenever you please; then by all means, rub it in and make this recipe whenever.

You may recall my last enchilada post. I actually repurposed the leftover verde sauce that was taking up space in my freezer. Now you have my apologies that both of my enchilada recipes thus far are so similar. In all honesty, I do enjoy a red sauce enchilada or a veggie enchilada or a plain old cheese enchilada, really just about any enchilada. My go-to order at a Mexican restaurant is their platter of multiple enchiladas.... love, love, love. Mmm. Now I want a variety of enchiladas.

Anyway, back to the recipe at hand. I will no longer need to be apologizing when you actually consume this dish. It is sooooooooooooo good. My parents agreed 100%. The enchiladas are creamy, cheesy and delicious. I'm not sure I have enough words to describe how much we enjoyed them.

My only complaint with this recipe was the leftovers. The avocado chunks did not do so well in the microwave. So if you are making this for 2-3 people, I would suggest cutting the recipe in half, unless you have some very large appetites. I still consumed the leftovers and I predict they may be better if I reheated in an oven, but I didn't have that option at work.


Here's the full baking dish:


Here's what one enchilada looks like:




Creamy Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas (adapted from Closet Cooking)
Ingredients:
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (You can use breasts or thighs or a combo)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
1 cup salsa verde (store bought or homemade)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 jalapeno (with or without seeds, depending on your heat threshold)
1 tsp ground cumin
juice from 1/2 lime
salt and pepper, to taste
3 avocados
8 8-inch flour tortillas
chopped parsley (or cilantro), for garnish

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F.

In the bowl of your food processor, combine the salsa verde, sour cream, chicken broth, water, jalapeno, cumin, lime juice and 2 of the avocados. Pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Place the shredded chicken in a large bowl. Add about half of the avocado cream sauce and 1/2 cup of each cheese. Dice the last avocado into bite sized pieces and add that to the bowl as well. Mix to combine.

Coat the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with more of the avocado cream sauce. Scoop 1/8 of the chicken mixture into the center of each tortilla and roll up. Place seam side down into the baking dish. Once all of the enchiladas are rolled, pour enough avocado cream sauce to completely cover the top of the tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of each cheese on top evenly.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbling and the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and garish with chopped parsley or cilantro. Serve hot.




No comments:

Post a Comment