Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cabbage Salad

"On the other side of a street I knew
Stood a girl that looks like you
I guess that's deja vu
But I thought this can't be true
Cause you moved to west L.A. or New York or Santa Fe
Or wherever to get away from me
Oh but that one night
Was more than just right
I didn't leave you 'cause I was all through
Oh I was overwhelmed and frankly scared as hell
Because I really fell for you
Oh I swear to you
I'll be there for you
This is not a drive by (y y y y)"

Train (Drive By)





Last night I went to the Train concert at the Illinois State Fair with one of my most wonderful cousins, Mallory. Here we are with them in the background:




We had a blast! 

And I love Train. :) 

Can you really believe that it has been over 10 years since "Drops of Jupiter" came out? Reminds me of the high school days. I didn't realize "Drive By" was Train when I first heard it on the radio because it was super upbeat and even more pop-y. But I love it. When I found out they were coming to the fair, I knew I had to go. And it did not disappoint. 

Last night I ate some amazing Cuban nachos and drank a few beers at the fair. You know all that healthy, good-for-you fair food. 

In honor of the healthy food I ate last night, I'm bringing you a....

....SALAD. :)


This cabbage salad is great. My mom makes it every time my sister and I go home. Although, growing up it was never my favorite (it was always my sister's fav), I have learned to love it; so much so, that I've started making it myself. I have no idea where my mom originally got the recipe, so I can't share a source with you. But, you should make it anyway. It would be great for a picnic or as an alternative to a green salad as a side for dinner any night of the week. I would suggest keeping the cabbage, nuts, and dressing separate and mixing it up fresh right before you serve it.




Cabbage Salad (from my mommy's kitchen to yours)
Ingredients:
Grated cabbage (1/2-1 head)
1/2 stick unsalted butter (or margarine)
1 package of Ramen noodles, broken into pieces (discard flavoring packet)
1/2 cup slivered or chopped almonds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/8 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup canola oil
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup sugar
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce

Directions:
Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the Ramen, almonds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds and saute for approximately 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently until toasted and golden.

Heat the oil, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, for approximately 10 minutes.

Cool the dressing and nuts (store both separately in the fridge). Pour over grated cabbage, mix and serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment