Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Black Bean and Mango Curry

There is a certain day that I always dread. If you are a girl or live with a girl, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

The morning you are standing in the shower and you realize that the water is not draining out as rapidly as normal. The morning you realize that it is once again time to clean the hair out of your shower drain. 

EWW.

Seriously one of my least favorite days ever. 

It happens maybe 2-4 times a year for me. I have to get down on my hands and knees, unscrew the shower plug and use a bent paper clip to remove the wet clumps of hair. I always follow it with a little bit of drain-o with hopes of extending the time between this unfortunate event.

My sister once told me that she knew she was going to marry her husband when he volunteered to clean out the shower drain in the house she shared with two other girls. I think he used one of those fancy sewer snake thingys, which I'm sure is a better fix than my paper clip contraption. I look forward to the one day when I can pass this unfortunate duty onto my husband (provided he wants to take over the job). I promise that I'll make him yummy food when he is done (and all 361 other days of the year as well).

I'll probably make him this delicious mango and black bean curry. The curry is spicy and the mango brings some sweet to the table. It is very refreshing.

Perfect for the day after cleaning out the drain.




Black Bean and Mango Curry (adapted from Get Cooking)
Ingredients:
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon butter
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1/2 heaping tablespoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1 mango, chopped
1/2 cup water

brown or white rice, prepared as directed, for serving
diced scallions, for garnish


Directions:
Melt butter and oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, curry powder and salt and cook while stirring about 5 minutes, until the onion begins to soften.


Add the beans and stir to coat completely with onions and seasoning. Cook on medium-low for about 5 minutes. Add the mango and water, bring to a boil, cover and cook for 5-10 minutes.

Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.

Serve over cooked rice, garnished with scallions.





No comments:

Post a Comment