Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sriarcha White Bean Dip

This week at the farmer's market I bought a watermelon. After I got it home, I immediately went to work with my melon baller. I don't know about you, but I think any type of melon tastes best when in perfect bite-sized balls. It may take little more patience and time than simply chopping up the watermelon, but it is worth it in my book. After the task was completed, I was left with an overflowing bowl of juicy red goodness (in one of my largest bowls that could no longer be closed with its lid). Needless to say, I've been eating lots of watermelon since Saturday. And it tastes just like summer!


Speaking of summer, can you believe that it is the last day of July!?!?! It feels like I just moved to IL but I've been here for more than six months?!?! 

Oh my goodness <<shakes head>> 

Realizing how "long" I've been here makes me start to think of what's going to happen next. Please keep a look out for job postings for organic chemistry professors for me, ok? The application process is speedily approaching. And no matter what we do, time doesn't slow for anything.


Completely unrelated to job searching, but related once again to summer foods, is a pita pocket stuffed with lots of fresh veggies like cucumber, spinach and tomato. Of course, you will need some sort of a "dressing" for this sandwich. My suggestion this spicy bean dip. It is kinda like an Asian inspired hummus. No tahini so I don't think we can technically call it a hummus, but it is still pureed beans. The sriarcha gives it a nice kick and the flavors are rounded out with curry powder, soy sauce and lime juice. It was a great compliment to my pita, but I also enjoyed it by the scoopful on top of multigrain Tosititos scoops and assorted vegetables.  




Sriarcha White Bean Dip (adapted from White on Rice Couple)
Ingredients:
1 cup cooked Northern beans (or 2/3 15 oz can, rinsed)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp sriracha sauce
1 glove of garlic
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 cup water, plus more if necessary
juice of 1/2 lime

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until desired consistency is reached.

Serve with crackers or tortilla chips. Or use as a spread for a sandwich or pita full of veggies and shredded cheese.



2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious for a veggie sammy! I'll have to make it when we unpack the kitchen in Florida next week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH!! You are almost to Florida. This will be perfect to welcome you to the sun. :) Call me if/when you get a chance so we can catch up!

      Delete