Thursday, July 12, 2012

Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds

Ch-ch-ch-chia!

Did you have a chia pet when they were sweeping the nation in the 80s? I find them a little creepy but kinda cool. Know what I mean?

Well, chia is back, repurposed and sweeping the (health food) nation again. You heard me right, the same thing that made those funny animals (and characters) is something you can eat. Actually, it is the seed that has gained a lot of popularity recently. The seed is chalked full of fiber and many essential nutrients. If you haven't seen them, they are this little black balls that are very crunchy. They swell up when they are soaked in liquid and become soft.

After reading numerous blog posts and articles about this little seeds, I decided to try them out and make my own decision. Conclusion- I like them. I have just let them soak up in a glass of juice (you really can't tell you are drinking seeds along with it). I also tried them out in this overnight oats recipe. Overnight oats are great because you can mix everything up before you go to bed and your breakfast is waiting for you when you get up in the morning. If you are not a big fan of bananas, I would suggest skipping the banana because it is definitely the dominant flavor. I used coconut milk to make mine, but any type of milk would work great. Play around with the fruits to get something you really enjoy. It will brighten up your breakfast and hopefully get you energized for a productive day.







Overnight Oats (adapted from Skinny Taste)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk (cow's, almond, soy, coconut, etc)
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 medium banana, sliced thinly
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup blueberries
1 tsp honey (or other sweetener of choice)
dash of cinnamon

Directions:
Mix everything in a jar or glass. Cover and refrigerate overnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment