Thursday, October 11, 2012

Homemade Wheat Pitas

I own this off-white sweater that I've had for a long time. I wear it a lot in the winter because it is a nice warm cardigan that I can pull on over any of my 100 or so t-shirts and wear into lab. The sleeves are not too long that they fit under my lab coat. One of the buttons has fallen off, but if I'm honest, I barely button it anyway. Since the weather has cooled down, I've pulled the sweater out of the back of my closet and started wearing it again. Today I noticed that the elbows are very worn!! What?! I've never worn a hole into the sleeves a shirt before! You can totally tell that the stitching is stretched and sooner or later I think it will wear through completely. Talk about bummer. My bet is that the Gap no longer sells this cardigan since I've had it for so long (I cannot remember when I bought it nor can I really remember when I didn't own it... probably sometime in college, if I had to guess).




Have you ever worn through a sweater?

Would you like to buy me a new one? ;)




I made these pitas a few weeks ago. I'm just now getting to posting them. Not because I didn't like them, but because I'm lazy. Or something. Really, they are great and now I can share with you another recipe that I used to fill up the pita pockets. Plus I crossed something else off that bucket list.




Man, I'm really enjoying freshly baked bread and playing around with yeast. The experiments will keep coming, I promise.




Wheat Pita Bread (adapted from Annie's Eats)
Ingredients:
2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp honey
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
cornmeal, for dusting

Directions:
In a large glass bowl, gently stir together the yeast, honey and 1/2 cup warm water. Stir in 1/4 cup bread flour and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour until smooth. Cover your bowl with plastic wrap and let rise until super bubbly doubled in size (picture 1 above), about 45 minutes.

Add the remaining water, the oil, salt and most of the flours. Mix until it starts to get sticky, then turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.

Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour (picture 2 above).

Punch down the dough and separate into 8 pieces. Form each into a ball and then flatten into a disc about 7 inches round. Place the rounds on a work space sprinkled with cornmeal. Loosely cover with a clean towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes at room temperature until puffy (picture 3 above).

Preheat your oven to 500 F.

Bake the pitas directly on the oven racks (you may need to do two batches) for 2 minutes on one side. Flip over and bake for another 1 minute. Cool completely on a wire rack (picture 4 above) and store in an air-tight container. You can cut a pocket into the pita by using a sharp knife down the side. Or you can just fill the pita flat and fold it (like a taco).




No comments:

Post a Comment