Sunday, May 27, 2012

BLTA Spring Rolls


Confession-- I’m totally into rice paper right now. Why? Because spring rolls constitute a healthy, quick and easy summer dish that can be packed with lots of goodness. I’ve made a number of different flavors in the past few months and enjoyed all of them. You can basically do WHATEVER you want with these little guys. You can add some protein (shrimp, bacon, beans, etc.) to make them a main dish or just opt for an assortment of veggies, kinda like a salad repurposed, served alongside grilled chicken or fish.

I introduced my parents to them this weekend when they were visiting. We had them stuffed with tons of vegetables as a side to sesame chicken and rice (I totally forgot to take a picture, but I promise I will next time and share the recipe here... it is great!). We had a blast making the rolls right at the dining room table.

I need to prepare you that these are certainly an “eat with your hands” food, especially if you want to dip them in some sauce (which I would suggest). Make sure to keep a napkin handy because they can be messy! :)

I’m sharing with you today a recipe for BLTA spring rolls, but I just encourage you to find the rice paper (should be in the Asian section of your supermarket) and play around with what you like best.




BLTA Spring Rolls (adapted from White on Rice Couple)
Ingredients:
Rolls:
2 strips bacon, cooked to your desired crispness, cut in half
4 leaves bibb lettuce
1 small or medium tomato, sliced thinly
½ avocado, sliced thinly
2 pieces of rice paper

Dipping sauce:
1/8 cup soy sauce (I prefer low sodium)
1 tsp Sriracha sauce, more or less to taste
1 tsp mayo

Directions:
Whisk the sauce ingredients in bowl until completely combine (alternatively, combine in a mason jar and shake to completely mix).

Fill a pie pan (or large bowl) with warm to hot water (the hotter it is, the faster the rice paper will hydrate). Gently dip one piece of rice paper into the bowl until it hydrated, approximately 10-30 seconds. Remove and spread out on plate or cutting board.

Add one piece of bacon, two lettuce leaves, and half of the tomato and avocado slices to one side of the rice paper. Start rolling the paper over the filling away from you, tucking in the sides as you go.

Eat immediately, dipping into sauce between bites.

Serves 1. 

** You can easily double, quadruple, etc. the recipe to fit the number of people who will be at dinner.




1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I'm totally trying this with some crispy tofu :)

    ReplyDelete