Monday, August 12, 2013

Shrimp Stuffed Poblanos

There is something you should know about me. I really like clean teeth. I definitely brush at least twice a day (more if I'm at home after lunch) and I floss and I use fluoride mouth rise. I like the feeling after swishing around the mouthwash because it burns and I know it is clean. I just can't imagine going to bed without brushing my teeth. Gross.

However, I do not love the dentist. I never have. I used to get sick at the dentist when they would shove those plastic mold things of fluoride in my mouth. And I had a lot of visits to the dentist and orthodontist growing up. Now I have straight, pretty, healthy teeth so I guess it is something that I have to endure. But for some reason  that gritty toothpaste they use makes my mouth feel unclean. Plus who in the world would want strawberry or bubblegum toothpaste? Mint is what makes your mouth taste clean, right?

Well today I went to the dentist and left feeling even grosser than ever! The hygienist put this fluoride paste on my teeth after she was done with the cleaning. It literally felt like I had gum stuck everywhere on my teeth. And she told me not to brush it off until after 4 hours. Since I'm a rule-follower, I suffered through the day with gunk on my teeth worrying that someone could tell and would think I had not brushed for days. Eww. Eww. Eww.




Anyway, on a happier note, make these shrimp stuffed poblano peppers. They are delicious and will definitely perk up any bad start to a day. Promise.




Shrimp Stuffed Poblanos (adapted from Cooking Light Jan/Feb 2010)
Ingredients:
1 red bell pepper
8 poblano peppers
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped into bite-sized pieces
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup skim milk
3/4 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
juice of one lime

Directions:
Preheat broiler.

Cut the bells pepper in half lengthwise and remove seeds and membranes. Place cut side down on a baking sheet. Place the poblano peppers on the baking sheet. Broil for 10 minutes or until blackened, turning poblanos halfway through to blacken all sides. Place the peppers in a paper bag and fold to seal. Let stand for about 10 minutes. Peel. Chop the bell pepper. Cut the tops off of the poblanos and remove seeds.

Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add the oil. Add the shrimp and cook for about 3 minutes until cook through. Remove from the pan.

Add the garlic to the pan and cook stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Sprinkle with flour and CRP and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the half-and-half and 1/2 cup milk; cook 1 minute while stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and let stand for 2 minutes. Whisk in the cheese and stir until melted. Place 1/3 cup cheese mixture in a bowl, add the bell pepper, shrimp, parsley and lime juice, and stir to combine. Stir the 1/4 cup milk into the remaining cheese mixture. Stuff the poblanos with the shrimp mixture. Serve the poblanos with the additional cheese mixture.

Serves 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment